Agave Lab is a venture capital firm with a unique business model. Instead of the traditional VC model where we fund external teams and projects, we seek out interesting problems and then create our own startups to address them. We use our internal design/dev team to build the first version of the product then, after it’s launched, we recruit a team around it, and spin it out on its own. Check out this video for more detail.
We launched the fund two years ago and here are the companies that we’ve created so far:
We are now looking for someone to lead our development team.
This is a very unique opportunity to lead the development for the fund. Not only will you define and maintain the development strategy and standards for our internal team of developers, you will also be responsible for building the initial architectural framework and acting as a leadership coach for our new portfolio companies. You’ll receive all the standard benefits and pay but will also be rewarded when our startups achieve success (through, for example, acquisition or public offering).
It’s an extremely challenging position that requires constant innovation and a commitment to learning, experimentation, and creativity. You should have strong opinions on how to structure and manage the development organization. You will have both the freedom to define the strategy and the responsibility to make it successful.
We are looking for someone who:
- Understands the strategic importance of company culture
- Understands modern concepts in organization development for startup engineering organizations
- Has had experience as a developer in a internet-based software startup
- Has managed developers before
- Has experience with Scrum, Agile, and/or Extreme Programming
- Has a passion for coaching, motivating, educating and leading
- Derives their personal sense of success by seeing their team members succeed
- Can recruit and accurately evaluate candidates
Some of your day-to-day responsibilities
- Working with your teams and team leaders to identify, implement, and refine the best development practices and technologies
- Discussing how best to architect features and functions,
- Driving morning standup meetings,
- Working with product owners (both at Agave and from our portfolio companies) on product strategy and feature roadmap.
- Talking with other departments regarding how we can continually improve our process,
- Identifying metrics that we can use to measure and improve development velocity and quality
Our team is small (less than 20) and we are passionate about releasing high quality features on a short interval basis. For this role, you’ll be deep into the guts of the project – if you have a geeky passion for software development and startups you’ve found your new home.
- Please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Position is located in Guadalajara
- Please mention at what time is ok for you to attend a call
- Please include links to your Github and/or LinkedIn profiles